Barnevelder, hen or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by decomposed, Jan 17, 2016.

1. decomposed

decomposed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Was given this "hen" the other day the woman assured my mother it was a hen but its tail looks a lot like the start of a cockerel tail, it sounds like a hen and hasn't tried to fight the other cockerel that is here, i was told it's around 16 weeks old, it doesn't have the pointed saddle feathers or neck feathers like a cockerel the feathers look round at the end but it is still quite young, i have never had a Barnevelder hen or cockerel before so i thought maybe someone on here would know better than i do. Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the bad quality pics i don't have a better camera at the moment.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Lacing on the chest means female. Males have solid or mostly solid black chests.

3. decomposed

Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, that is great, thankyou so much for the info

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's female, and I think the age is pretty close.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree with Junebeggena and Donrae.

That is a Barnevelder hen...and around the stated age.

A Barnie rooster would have black chest, no lacing, and red bars on the wings. I don't have a photo of my big boy, but he says you've got a nice hen there.

The tail should settle down as she fills in with her final adult feathers. I've had a number of young ladies get funk in their tail as they finish their juvenile molt and grow in final adult feathers.

LofMc

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    [​IMG]

Take it back...here are some photos of my 2 Barnie roosters at around 16 weeks of age. You can see no lacing, red bars on wings, and a wink towards your girl.

LofMc

7. decomposed

Oct 10, 2012
    awesome what a relief haha, the cockerel here starts crowing at 3:30am i couldn't imagine 2 of them going all morning, i would never get any sleep hahaha, thanks so much everyone :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations it's a girl !![​IMG] So nice to be able to say that. We see a lot of cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by