Barnevelder is not laying!

beach.coop

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
Hi all,

I have a 10-month old barnevelder hen that has not laid an egg yet. All my other hens started around 6-months. When I picked this one up it was the runt of its batch, but has grown into its form well aside from no egg. Should I be concerned and is there anything I can do to help?! Whats the longest you’ve had a hen before it laid? Thanks ahead for any advice!

Barnevelder are definitely slower to start. Are you still feeding a grower? Switching pullets to a lower protein layer will slow down maturity.

Most barnevelder start between 6-8 months. They don't lay a lot. Their beauty is in their markings, temperament, and darker eggs.

They don't get their bigger combs and wattles until they are getting ready to lay. Generally about a month or two before that first egg. It's hard to guess exact age by looking at a birthday, but yours I would estimate between 6-12 months.
Thanks for that! I was generally wondering about comb/wattle size/colour in regard to egg laying. I also thought they need a bit of that before they lay as my 2 BantamX hens who are laying have combs/wattles. My SLBarn is 20 wks right now and no sign of any comb action, yet.

I have a barnvelder hen with no eggs yet. She almost 7 month old. Super flighty and not too cuddly.
I’ll be waiting with too.

Hi all,

I have a 10-month old barnevelder hen that has not laid an egg yet. All my other hens started around 6-months. When I picked this one up it was the runt of its batch, but has grown into its form well aside from no egg. Should I be concerned and is there anything I can do to help?! Whats the longest you’ve had a hen before it laid? Thanks ahead for any advice!
I too have a 10 month old Barnevelder that has not yet laid and egg. How old was yours when it finally started laying?

3CA2EC8E-C26C-447D-B75D-2C6A516DD22A.jpeg
227FDB30-6946-4F62-8797-8FB569C79B31.png
I’m wondering if maybe my Barnevelder is not really as old as I was told she was. My BO is supposedly the same age (10 months) but they look nothing alike. The Barnevelder has no wattles or comb like the BO. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom