Barnevelder or Partridge Rock? Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CoopedInn, Nov 7, 2014.

1. CoopedInn

CoopedInn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    I bought three chicks a while back from a feed store. They were only a few days old then. Not sure what hatchery they came from. They were supposed to be Barnevelder pullets (the breed I was looking for and I drove two hours one way to get them), but when I got there they were in a brooder with some Partridge "somethings" (can't remember). I questioned the person who sold them to me as how to tell the breeds apart (it was obvious to me there were two different breeds in the brooder, just didn't know which was which), and I wasn't completely confident in what they told me, but I took the three anyway. Googled some pics of Barnie chicks when I got home, and felt satisfied that was what I purchased. A few nights ago, I was looking through an old Barnie thread on BYC, and I found a picture of a Barnie pullet beside a Partridge Rock, and I'm thinking that my birds look more like the PR - light brown neck feathers and the pattern on their body and wings seemed closer to the pic of the PR. They are only seven weeks old, so maybe I am jumping to conclusions too quickly. Can anyone tell from the pics which breed I have, or is it another Partridge "something"? Also, can you tell if these are pullets (pretty confident they are - all of their combs still look flesh colored to me). I apologize in advance for the poor quality photos - was working in low light and the little rascals wouldn't stay still. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I clipped their wings a few days ago, and here are a few of their feathers:

[​IMG]

Here's what they looked like when I first brought them home, less than a week old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I'm going to say barnevelders and all pullets

3. CoopedInn

CoopedInn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    My Coop
    OK, thanks, maybe I was just second guessing myself. Anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by