1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnevelder Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jenandnaomi, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jenandnaomi

Jenandnaomi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Eugene OR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought a few chicks in September. The barnevelder just turned 24 weeks and I think it's a rooster not a hen. No eggs, no crow, what do you think?

2. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i think your right! [​IMG] or maybe thats good? but yours does not look anything like my barnevelder pullet at all. im pretty sure on the female the head and neck should be black, but the rest should have the laced brown feathers. looks like some big wattles too. and the feathers by the tail are coming down and are looking very roo-ish! [​IMG]

if you check out the breed index on BYCs home page there is a picture of a roo and hen. your one looks like the roo only alot younger! [​IMG]

edit to add a photo of my barnetts, she is a 16 week old barnevelder pullet. not the best pic. but you can see the lacing on the feathers (not that hers is perfect by far, she is from a hatchery i believe so not the best example of lacing but you get the idea [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definite cockerel.

Pullets do not come in coloration like that. Also, he's got saddle feathers. Notice the photo looking at him from above, those perfectly triangular, short feathers over his back.

4. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Cockerel.

Very handsome one ! [​IMG]

5. Oboistonquack

Oboistonquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:x2

6. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009