Barnevelder roosters or hens?

kittyosu

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016

I recently purchased 2 barnevelder "hens" from someone locally and I am new to owning chickens but I am questioning whether or not they are actually roosters? Saddle feathers? Coloring? I was told they are 5 months old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Well 1 of them just started crowing and I have had them since Saturday. I hope the seller will consider taking them back cause they are bullying my leghorns disturbing the neighborhood.

I talked with the seller and she's still questioning why do i think their roos even after 1 started an obvious early crowing this morning. I explained the saddle feathers and the rooster behavior they were having toward my leghorns. She said someone told her they were young hens but that if we didn't want them she would take them back. I'm going to take them back. I just can't figure out why there coloring isnt like most barnevelder roos?! But I definitely can't keep 2 roosters
1f610.png

I talked with the seller and she's still questioning why do i think their roos even after 1 started an obvious early crowing this morning. I explained the saddle feathers and the rooster behavior they were having toward my leghorns. She said someone told her they were young hens but that if we didn't want them she would take them back. I'm going to take them back. I just can't figure out why there coloring isnt like most barnevelder roos?! But I definitely can't keep 2 roosters
1f610.png

Sounds like she needs to learn her birds from her bees, lol...

At least she will take them back... and they are colored differently because they are different... those are blue Barnevelders like this one...

Which is also a cockerel...

Hens will look like the one on the left... :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom