Barnevelder vs. Welsummer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenfever, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I am trying to decide which of these two breeds to order. I want them for the darker eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is a better layer?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    get both! Why make decisions! The addiction is calling

3. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    If you want dark eggs go with the Welsummers. Barnevelders in the US are not known for their laying abilities or their egg color. However, if you just want so me pretty birds to look at, get some of both. They are gorgeous.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks, I was kind of leaning toward the Welsummers. I'm also getting some hatchery cuckoo marans, which I'm not sure what to expect as far as the darkness of eggs with hatchery chickens.

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I got two of each! I have to say the Welsummers lay much more consistently and they're a little more friendly. Not sure but I think the Welsummer eggs are a little darker. But there are definitely more of them! I love them all!

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I don't have barnevelders, but I love my Welsummers. They are consistent layers of dark brown eggs and have a sweet, if skiddish disposition. Right now one of my Welsummers is being an excellent mama to 6 chicks that hatched out about 6 weeks ago.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've had both but Barnvelders were beautiful birds but really did poorly in egg production and they are not ecominical feeders. So Welsummers are my favorites in the dark egg layer breeds.

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm with EweSheep --

I've got young barnevelders and I enjoy having them, but for general dark egg laying and nice birds it's hard to beat Wellies, IMNSHO.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I would recommend doing a BYC Search on both. Looks at what others have to say. Then do a Google too. And don't forget to look to see if there is an established breeder's club.

So far the comments on here look to be pretty accurate. One thing I'd add is that Barnevelders are very rare. So if you do get them, for the bird's sake don't get them from a hatchery!

As for Welsummers, I breed and show them. I'm working on both APA SOP's and improving the size and color of the egg. I have one hen that is laying a very large, extremely nice, evenly colored dark egg without any speckles.

You can see my birds on my website. Just click on the applicable album. I'll be adding some Barnevelders to my flock in a couple of months. I'm focusing my time and efforts on my Ameraucanas for the next 2-3 years and some time on Welsummers. The Barnie's I add are coming from a fairly local breeder and I'll be working with her to improve SQ and egg color.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

God Bless,

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Tailfeathers, I would LOVE to have a Wellie' egg that is so smooth and no speckles! Now how would that happen?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by