barnevelder

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poplarbird, Sep 21, 2016.

1. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    I love my 22 w old chicken who just laid yesterday. to my surprise, the egg was not chocaloate brown. and she does not look like a Barnie like one from Internet. is she a Barnie?[​IMG][/IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That's a mixed breed, though she looks like she might have Barnie in her.

3. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    thanks. she runs very very fast, and is very curious

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    good to find out.

she runs very very fast, and very curious.

[​IMG]

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Black Sexlink

6. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    I'm definitely not an expert but I'm gonna go with a black sex-linked just off of looks.

7. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    Looks exactly like a black sexlink. thanks.

she just laid the second egg yesterday. based on my understanding of sexlink, she is expected to have shorter life span than the others.. I hope she's not the case!.

she and the the two wyndottes are my first chickens, i got them at 6 weeks old and have been spending time bonding.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    By her headgear, I would have thought rooster - but, an egg does remove all doubt.

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Honestly... I'd strongly disagree that she's a sex link. If she is she's a very atypical one. Sex links are made using a red cock over a barred hen. Genetically simple birds. This bird clearly has penciling, present in none of the breeds usually used to create a sex link. If she is a sex link, she's a strange looking homemade one.

Secondly, Sex Links do not have shorter lifespans that other breeds. They do have a slightly higher incidence of reproductive issues than others breeds (due to extremely high egg production), but the vast majority (who will not have these issues) will live the same lifespan as any other breed. And, if she is a sex link, she's someone's homemade project, and will not lay anywhere near the quantities of a standard commercial sex link, and so won't experience these issues anyways.

1 person likes this.
  10. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    getting more interesting. [​IMG][​IMG]

We got her from a shop and the owner said it a Banervalder, when we came back with her last week to get some warm & pest thingy, she said it's a hybrid.

She has big comb and wattle unlike Barnie i checked on the web, that was my first clue. We expect her to be reverse look in the feather compared to my gold laced wyndotte, but she is not. And the third clue was the egg color.

I don't have a nice photo of her as she is always running and very active.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by