Barnevelders 6 weeks old genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by winniechick, Jan 21, 2016.

1. winniechick

winniechick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    I bought fertile eggs and put them under my broody girl which she duly hatched for me, three are Barnevelders but all three look so very different, they are now 6 weeks old and can tell I have one pullet for sure but the other two I do not know, one is so much bigger than the others and the nearly all black one is so bold and fearless of everything. Any gender help would be much appreciated.

This is 'Poppy' the kids favorite one and the fearless one comb is half black which i have never heard of.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is 'Brownie', biggest of all the chicks by far and feathered out really quickly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly my little pullet 'Lilly', see how all three are totally different feather colour and lacing
    [​IMG]

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Brownie is the only one that looks rooster'ish to me. But really it's young to guess for sure.

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I would say that Brownie and Poppy are both cockerels... and the reason they don't look the same is because they are mixes, not pure Barnevelders... Brownie looks closest to what the breed should look like, but the feather patterns don't look quite right to me... but definitely the other 2 are mixes, their legs shouldn't be greenish or dark at all...

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Brownie and Poppy look like cockerels.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Given the size and redness of their combs at 6 weeks, Poppy and Brownie both appear to be cockerels. Also, I agree with Ravynfallen; they are not pure Barnevelder.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    X2 Poppy and Brownie are cockerels, and none are purebreds.

7. winniechick

winniechick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    Thank you for your replies everyone, I did suspect both Poppy and Brownie were cockerels just hoping Brownie wasn't as his feathering is quite lovely. And feeling a little bit annoyed as I was told I was buying Barnevelder fertile eggs and now I don't know what I've got.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Junebuggena

10. hodor

hodor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Australia
    I was thinking they didn't look anything like my Barnevelders of the same age. A Barnevelder x explains that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by