1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnevelders from Ideal...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by WestKnollAmy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Ideal Hatchery called me yesterday and asked if I wanted any of their newly hatched Barnevelders!
    They were supposed to be out until '09 so I was surprised. They are offering only st run, of course.
    I declined but wanted everyone to know because I was supposedly at the end of an extremely long list!
    Wonder where they got the eggs from?[​IMG]

2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I have some Barnevelders and Im looking for new blood. They are extramley hard to locate. I got mine from a guy who had them imported from Holland. Maybe Ill moosy on over to Ideal.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

oh how I wish I had room for 25 straight run chicks...
    I fear a smaller quantity migh not yeild as many hens as I would hope to have after my 1st experience, and my 2nd as I watch pullets crow in my brooder :|

to get my hands on a dozen eggs from a nice flock.... [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Fortunately I was able to wrangle some Barnies from a nice lady down near Charleston. They are some young beauties. It was a long trip to go and pick them up but I am very pleased with them.
    I can't wait till they start laying and that should be soon.
    I plan to build up a flock and will need to add some new blood next year probably but plan to hatch some first and I know several people want to buy some of the dark eggs to eat.

It is hard to find this breed, especially since the National club no longer maintains the website and I believe has disbanded.
    We all need to stay in touch so we can trade out eggs and chicks.

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I would love to trade eggs or chicks. The line I have the fertility has gone way down to inbreeding [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by