Barnevelders laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vinniemac, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Vinniemac

Vinniemac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    I have five hens 1 RIR 2 Wyandottes & 2 Barnevelders[​IMG]
    There all nine months old. All but the Barnevelders have been laying for quite awhile.I thought the barnevelders would wait until spring .But in the middle of winter they started very large eggs
    [​IMG]
    I have been getting 3 to 4 a day Two days recently I got 5 I'm really surprised because the temperature has been below zero a few nites
    Vinnie

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Temps have little to do with it......they have reached their laying age, first year layers are seem to be less affected by the length of day and can start in the fall and lay all winter without supplemental light.
    My first year layers started laying end of December.

3. Vinniemac

Vinniemac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reply. There laying very well . I'm amazed how hardy they are We had a few days below 0 degrees and they are just fine. Lots of snow this year ,They will go out in it and scratch around but I can't let them out because its to cold for me to stay with them.We have trouble with hawks Being there all dark birds they would be easy to spot. I try to give some greens to keep them happy they love them as you can see in the picture. Can't wait for spring.
    Vinnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by