Barnevelders - What can you tell me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cejunes, Jul 25, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    When I started my flock this year, I decided to add a little variety to my flock. I have two barnvelder hens and was just wondering if anyone could give my any specifics on them. My girls want to show them along with our cuckoo marans at our local fair next month and I don't know a whole lot about them. Input would be appreciated. They are about 15-16 weeks old right now. Pics just taken today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    All I really know is there aren't actually Barnevelders that lay dark eggs, and that when I hatched them, I only got 2 cockerels! Want them?

I am by no means an expert, but the lacing looks nice on that first one. The second is different than any I have seen. I know there are lots of different colors in Europe.

There was a thread a thread a bit ago for people working on Barnies. Maybe post some questions there!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129430

3. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    It's not really a good picture of the second one. The lighting was weird. She is a little bit lighter in her coloring and I've added a better pic of her. I just read something today that on a page in the UK that said the better quality stock lay lighter eggs a little more on the orange side rather than the dark brown side. Mine haven't started laying yet, but when they do, I'll post a pic of their eggs. As for the roo's... I think I'll pass. I don't have any right now but I think I might try and find a Cuckoo Maran Rooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    I think Barnevelders are just beautiful. Where did you get yours? The one in the first picture is definitely a Barnevelder, however I see a difference in feathering in the 2nd one. Barnies have the same feather pattern throughout, including the breast. Your girl inthe 2nd pic looks like a Partridge Rock or Welsummer...

Here's ours-notice the breast feathers. Both of yours are beautiful!!!

[​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Definitely the 2nd photo is of a hen that can't be shown or would be DQ'd if shown.
    Good luck with yours. I recently had to part with mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: