Barnevelders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bikergirl, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    How do u sex Barnevelders???
    thanks

2. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm not having any luck sexing my Barnies, so I'm the last person to ask. [​IMG] I tried the chest feather test on day-old chicks (white for roos, gray brown for pullets), but then the feathers started growing in. The roos were supposed to feather more slowly than pullets, but the ones that had the gray-brown chests as day olds were feathering more slowly than the supposedly males chicks. Now I'm watching the comb color and that is turning out to be a totally different ball of wax. The females are supposed to have the laced patterning all the way to the tips of the tail feathers while the roos have black tail feathers. I ordered Barnevelder eggs because I wanted chicks that were "easy" to sex, but every day I have a different guess. I guess the roos will eventually crow and the pullets will eventually lay eggs. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I'm no expert, but I just hatched my first batch of barnevelders a few weeks ago. I found that the males have short more even wing feathers and the females wings feather out faster and have longer wing feathers (clear to the tail) and get their back feathers faster. This is around 2-3 weeks. Mine at 3 weeks are already showing differences in comb size and color. The chest down color is all over the place with my batch too.
    Trisha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by