Barnevelders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SoCalChick, Dec 2, 2009.

1. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Anyone had any experience with Barnevelder's? Really wanting to know their temperament and friendliness towards other?

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    have a few that are about 7 weeks old. Always seem to be doing something. Get along good with my other chickens, not as interested people as my welsummers,hard to catch if you must but i like, them smart chickens

3. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Thank you.

4. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

As chicks they are spunky when young, but settled down as they got older. Mine are very curious about what I'm doing. They don't really like to be picked up or petted, but I didn't handle them much as chicks. The girls will do anything for treats and come running if they see me. You have to watch your fingers! Mine like to forage and don't boss others around. The roo is good to his girls and doesn't over breed them, but so far every egg I've gotten seems to be fertile.

5. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    heres a few photos of mine there about 8 weeks old [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I raise, breed, and show mine Barnevelders. I don't have the time right now to give a lengthy discussion but if you'll send me a personal email - not PM - I'll answer you later when I can.

God Bless,

7. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Wing it, Your pullets are pretty I would love to add one of these breeds. Are they bantams or standard size? How big will they be when they become fully mature?

8. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Quote:Hi they are standards they should be about 5 1/2 to 7 Lbs when mature. Right now they seem to be very busy always up to something. A lot of fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by