Barnevelders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I just got an email from a hatchery that I inquired to about Barnevelders, saying that they were now available to order.

I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the breed and has any advice for a potential owner? Or just whether or not I should order some of these chicks for the spring?

Pictures of your birds too would be great!

Thanks to all!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009
  2. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Rnau on here has barnevelders.I do not know if he ships chicks but I know he ships hatching eggs.His are a lot nicer than any hatchery birds.I have a few of his birds and they are pretty nice.Most of the barnevelders in the US need work to get darker eggs . [​IMG]

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Barnevelders are very pretty birds. OTOH they do not lay very well, and in this country they don't lay very dark eggs either.

Roy bought a cockerel from me several months ago. I dunno if that cockerel is the father of your chicks, but he might be. [​IMG]

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Darn. I was hoping to maybe replace my Marans hen that less mediocre "dark" eggs with a nice Barnevelder.

[​IMG]

Anybody else?

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have a small flock of young Barnes from SQ lines. So far they are quiet and friendly, but wont' start to lay until March or so. The friend that gave them to me said their eggs aren't very dark. No pics right now due to crappy weather, and we are due for a big winter storm.

6. Rocky Meadows

Rocky Meadows Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Lawton Michigan
    Most people here in the states breed for show. So dark eggs aren't first on their list. I have some barny's as I like to call them that I am working on to get egg color back. If you would like to see them go to my site: www.rockymeadowspreservation.com

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Awesome! I'll check it out! They're such a beautiful breed, it seems like a disappointment that they would only be bred to show standards, sacrificing egg coloration/production.

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    If you just want a nice bird that lays pretty eggs, go with Welsummers. They're an all around nice bird. If you want really dark eggs, though, take the time to find GOOD Marans.

9. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    here some photos of mine [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. rnau

rnau Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Piedmont Al
    I have different strains of Barnevelders to work with. I have a roo from Amazondoc and another from Gabbard farms. My hens are from Lee Penny and a private breeder. I have some hens laying fairly dark eggs and some a little darker than RIR. I am growing out several of my own cross and some from Johan and Gabbard. I lost all my Ledford chicks last week but that is part of the heartache of breeding. If anyone has Bantam Barnies I need some more.

Roy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by