Barnevelders

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vinniemac, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Vinniemac

Vinniemac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    I have two barnevelder hens that are 6 months old and still no eggs. does anyone know about when they should start to lay eggs.I also have two wyandottes & one RIR the same age that have been laying for more than a month.
    Vinnie

2. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    "Barnies" as I call them, develop later than other breeds. Depending on the source you got them from, it could be up to 9 months before they start laying.

But lots of the "rare" breeds like that tend to be only SEASONAL layers. They only want to lay in Spring and Summer. My sumatras are like that, so I only offer their chicks once a year. And I usually have an incubator set up JUST for them, so I don't fill the space up and have to wait for hatches before I can add their eggs.

So you may have to wait until the weather warms back up to get anything from them.

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    they should start laying around 6 months. barnevelders seem to be one of those less cold tolerant breeds, so they may hold off until spring.

i have never had any luck raising them. they are one of the breeds i have done away with at my farm as i cannot stand behind their performance/livability. if you look around, the barnevelder bantams are nearly extinct - and its not from lack of trying from breeders to keep them going, they are just a weak breed.

4. Vinniemac

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the replies Now I sort of know want to except.
    Vinnie

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never had a barnevelder lay at 6 months. I'm still waiting on pullets that hatched 3/26. They are very slow developers - they will truly test your patience.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. Vinniemac

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    *what to expect - I did read that the breed are slow to mature, but also read that they are cold hearty, so I hope they can handle our winter. Thanks again for the info.

7. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    They can HANDLE the winter, but they usually won't lay eggs during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by