barns!

RockyPhoenix

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
North Liberty
smile.png
does anyone else have a section of their barn devoted to chickens? i am lucky and i get the entire barn! we have 2 and they dont use the one my pens are in so im very fortunate! i have one room currently under chicken conversion...and four pens on the other side...

**PICS PLEASE!**
celebrate.gif

Our chicken coop and the outdoor chicken yard (@20 x 20') back up to the east end of our barn. The coop is raised about 30 inches, so under the coop and low in the east barn wall, we cut a pop door that we can open and close to allow the hens inside the barn or keep them out as weather and night time dictate. Just inside the east wall of the barn where the pop door is cut, we installed a chain link dog pen that is 8 x 12 X 6' tall. This frigid Missouri winter proved the value of this arrangement. In the iciest, snowiest, sleetingest, just nasty wet cold weather, our hens basked in their indoor pen where the temps were usually no lower than upper 20's on the worst nights. In their down coats and snuggled together on the sawhorse roosts I put in there for them, they were fine night and day. In even the sorst weather, we open the pop door so the hens have the choice and space to move in and out. Lots of time they go out but stay under the shelter of the raised coop which we have wind baffled with straw bales. We have a 5 gal heated waterer, a hanging feeder, and one milk crate for a nest box for laying eggs. I use pine bark for bedding deep layer style. Midwinter, we were offered five silkies, so we sectioned off a five foot portion for this for their coop/run. They have a heated waterer too and an infrared heat lamp. When the weather settles, we'll clear out the old bedding to spread on our garden, and give the silkies the run of the indoor pen. The 14 big hens will then be put back outdoors where their coop and chicken yard will serve them well through early winter when they'll have access to the protection of their indoor pen again. When the big hens have free range time out of their chicken yard, the Silkies will have the pop door opened so they can play out in the open chicken yard. So, yes, we use our barn for our chickens and we feel it has added lots of diversity to the way we manage our hens.

Even though my renovation isn't done yet, here I go!

The front:

100_4390.jpg

The back of it is our garden area:

100_4385.jpg

Half of the outdoor run:

100_4878.jpg

Moving inside, one pen:

100_4850.jpg

The one next to it:

100_4851.jpg

And the laying hen pen:

100_4852.jpg

Oh ya, I tried making a pond... That is going to be a work in progress:

100_4389.jpg

Here is an area that I have my quail cages:

100_4853.jpg

And here is my brooder/rabbit room:

100_4854.jpg

Oh, the bunnies want to say hi to you:

100_4396.jpg

I still have half the lower level to work with and the entire loft... What to do? What to do??

Lucky you!

We don't have our barn yet but my DH is going to build me one for my "Micro-Farm"
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
Chickens, Rabbits and a couple goats.

Cars - Looking good and it's giving me a few ideas for mine
smile.png

Last edited:
smile.png
does anyone else have a section of their barn devoted to chickens? i am lucky and i get the entire barn! we have 2 and they dont use the one my pens are in so im very fortunate! i have one room currently under chicken conversion...and four pens on the other side...

**PICS PLEASE!**
celebrate.gif
I have a 4x6x3.5' coop for my two hens inside my 24x48x8' wooden barn. It's made out of two picket fence pieces I had, hardware cloth on the inside of those, hardware cloth floor and only one roost. It's sides are covered with plexiglass in the winter with openings for ventilation. I had a nice 5/8 thick piece of plywood I used for the roof. Nothing gets in there!
They run inside the barn in the winter if it's snowy outside. It works. But now it's too small because I bought two more chicks!

Back
Top Bottom