Barnvelders or columbian wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by citychickx6, Feb 3, 2012.

1. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    DH said I can have whatever I want. BOY is he in for it lol.
    I have an order placed but am thinking perhaps some Barnvelders instead of the Columbian wyandottes I ordered.
    I have room for only 2 and I have found that my current hens tend to stick with the ones that are the same breed. So I want to get 2 of the same.
    I like Columbians BUT I think the Barnvelders are pretty cool looking.
    I have
    EE x3
    California Whites x2
    BA x2
    BO x1
    GLW x1
    Splash Hamburg x1
    I ordered
    SSH x2
    CW x2
    Apenzeller Spitzhauben x2
    and a freebie of unknown breed.

The plan is to move the splash into the smaller coop with the SSH and Apenzellers when they are big enough. The CW or Barnvelder will end up in the larger coop with the existing group. The freebie is unknown so will have to decide later on it.

What does everyone think? Should I even be trying to add to the larger group with only 2 going in or should I just stick to the smaller hens keeping them in the smaller coop?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    We have columbian wyandottes and their personalities are great. They all get along, they're mild mannered and happy.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I do not know about hatchery Barnevelders, but I love my breeder quality Barnies. They are friendly, calm birds.

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I got a Barnevelder from a friend who had acquired her from another friend so I have no idea where she came from, but I love her. She lays good sized and good looking eggs. She is friendly, not a pet, but not mean. She will follow me around when I bring up treats and she has never been vicious that I've seen. And on top of that she is beautiful :) I've been looking for a rooster to breed her with but I can't find one. :\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by