Barnvelders....when do they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckaroo's wife, Nov 14, 2010.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I recently acquired two barnvelder hens, 1 black crested white polish (white black crested polish? how do you word it?), and 1 welsummer hen. I've had them for over a week and no one is laying!! I'm antsy to see their beautiful brown Barnevlder eggs....the man I got the hens from said he hadn't seen any eggs from them yet. They were hatched in mid-late March. Should I be seeing eggs soon?!?! [​IMG]

2. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, they should be laying, usually about 6 months (some breeds 7 months). Any day.........moving to a new home might set them back a little [​IMG]

3. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I'm wondering if its also the lighting? I set up a makeshift coop inside my barn (not ideal, but had to use materials available and it is the safest place away from the neighbor's dog.... [​IMG] ) I leave a light on for them, but I'm wondering if they just aren't getting enough daylight...??

4. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    With mine, when they are the first year layers the lighting doesn't seen to affect them as much as the veterans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by