barnyard cat question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dandydoodle, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How do you get your barn cats use to your chickens. We just got 3 barn kittens, they are 3 months old. I want to get them use to each other so the cats don't kill the chickens. What do I do? I really wanted them to keep the rats away.

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are your chickens adults? Standard sized? If so, just turn the kittens loose. The hens will keep them in line.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    They are bantams.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Well, for what it's worth, I have standards and a bantam hen and I've never had a problem with barn cats bothering my adult chickens. Wouldn't trust them with chicks, but adults have been no problem. (I've had OEGBs in the past, free ranging and the cats never bothered them, either)

5. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I have 2 barn cats thet have been around just as long as my chickens and I have never had a problem. The cats actually like to sleep in the coop with my girls. I have gone out on many mornings to find the cats sleeping in the nesting boxes. This afternoon the each had a mouse as a present for me when I went out to gather eggs.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Are OEGBs small? I am worried about my faverolles. They are tiny especially the girls.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes, OEGBs are small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by