barnyard crosses...what breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peneliva, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Peneliva

Peneliva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

I am going to be buying a few of these crosses and wanted to know what you guys thought they were?

She said australorp, EE and BO.

Thanks!

I want the EE crosses cause she says she gets colored eggs but isn't sure who lays them.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Unless the blue and splash birds are Australorps, I'm not seeing any of those breeds in the pics. I'd have pegged the blue and splash birds as Marans, but they're clean legged...

anyway, they look healthy, that's a start. If you're looking for green or blue egg layers, look for birds with pea combs. They'll often also have a beard/muffs and dark legs, but the pea comb is closely linked to the blue egg gene on the chromosome, so they're often together.

3. Peneliva

Peneliva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Kentucky
    Donrae. What other breedsbhave black legs? That was the reason I was thinking she was correct with australorps.

she has a barred rock roo and hatched these herself. She ordered her birds from murray mcmurray and the original birds were australorps, bo and ee.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have several mixed breed birds that have black legs, not sure on the exact genetics behind leg colors. I don't have any Australorps. My two base breeds are barred Rocks and Easter eggers.

I just have to point out the rooster that fathered those birds wasn't a pure barred Rock, or all the birds would be barred to some extent. He may be a black sex link, where only half the offspring are barred. Really doesn't matter, they're nice mixed breed bird and should lay well for you. Go for pea combs and classic EE signs to better your chances of colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by