Barnyard mixes any ideas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kntrybumpkin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. kntrybumpkin

kntrybumpkin Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]We had 3 eggs hatch 2 weeks ago and aren't sure on one we know 2 are barred rock but we are curious if the third is cuckoo maran

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. kntrybumpkin

May 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. kntrybumpkin

May 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. kntrybumpkin

May 27, 2015
    [​IMG]this little I'm going to take my best guess that he is a silkie mix but look at those cheeks[​IMG]this little guy is half the size of everyone else at 12 weeks we bought a large amount of mixed birds at a week old with astralorp blue and black orpington black copper maran but as they grow we realize there are some we just don't know about

5. kntrybumpkin

May 27, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]this handsome guy is a year and a half and is top boss we have always wondered what he could be I was told a black sex link rooster once

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. uncredibless33

uncredibless33 Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    The two chicks could both be Cuckoo Marans. Cuckoo Maran cockerels have fairly uniform white stripes on them, while the pullets have a more random, less uniform pattern.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  7. kntrybumpkin

May 27, 2015
    the problem is we have barred rock hens and cuckoo maran hens and our rooster in the pic above is also barred but we aren't sure what he is so the barred gene will for sure carry

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Since your rooster isn't a pure bred bird, none of the chicks will be pure bred. With his single barring gene, and the hens being barred, you may have a difficult time telling who came from the Marans momma vs the Rock momma. One good way to tell is leg/skin color. Marans should have white/pink skin, Rocks have yellow. White is dominant, so any chicks from the Marans should have white skin. It will probably be a moot point, though, unless your cuckoo Marans laid exceptionally dark eggs. My hatchery cuckoos, crossed with a regular brown egger rooster, gave pullets that laid regular brown eggs.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry no ideas

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    BR mix, probably

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by