Barnyard mixes!?

MakelaNJoe

Chirping
Apr 26, 2015
Northern California
I have been looking for a bit to find a thread containing the "barnyard mixes" or as i like to call em my mutt chickens! I was told my chicks were an americauna and an orphington.. couple days after purchasing i postes pics asking for conformation of the breeds, i got a few responses sayng they were neither of those and they were just simply mixes! Ont get me wrong i love them all the same! Well now one of those "mutts" looks to be a roo. Considering keeping him (never really wanted a roo but thought about those fertile eggs and a broody chicken) sorry about rambling

anyways would love to see others mutt chickens lol

What an amazing flock! So many different colors and patterns, do you hatch chicks from your mixes!? I was thinking of having the silkies hatch a few after a broody stage or 2. cant wait to see mine when they are grown!

My silkie mixes about 14 weeks i think

Howdy MakelaNJoe

I have a Bantam Langshan and three Pekin's [bantam Cochins or Pekin Cochin, depending on from where you hail
wink.png
] one of which is frizzled.

I also have a couple of 'mutts' hatched from fertile eggs I purchased for my broody Pekin ... they came from a mixed bantam pen and as there was apparently a Silkie or two in there and they have 5 toes I am guessing they have some Silkie in them but no idea what else. As one is also a Frizzle, there was a Frizzle or Sizzle or something in the mix also
wink.png

I love my little mutts and I think they are pretty ........

Crystal [11 weeks old]:

KiKi [11 weeks old]:

They are absolutely beautiful! Especially miss kiki she makes me want a frizzle! Your girls are nice and plump already makes me second guess the age of my silkie mixes! They stand tall but they arent very plump at all they are actually pretty skinny for being rte "14 weeks" i thought!

What an amazing flock! So many different colors and patterns, do you hatch chicks from your mixes!? I was thinking of having the silkies hatch a few after a broody stage or 2. cant wait to see mine when they are grown!

My silkie mixes about 14 weeks i think
are these silkie and polish? the top hats look more polish than silkie to me!!
big_smile.png

I bought them as polish but after bringing them home realized they had 5 toes and feathered legs! Considering the coloring we ruled out sultan and just figured the were silkie polish!

Last edited:
Hey MakelaNJoe

Thank you, I think they are adorable little girls
wink.png

This is my other Frizzle LuLu, she a Pekin Frizzle [bantam Cochin Frizzle]:

LuLu was my first experience with Frizzle’s and the reason I wanted more. There is something about Frizzles, they are quirky little things.

LuLu bounced her way into the flock at 3 months of age and pretty much said “I’m here, I’m staying, get over it!”. She has this infectious happy chickenality and nothing phases her. KiKi is growing up the same way.

I do not know if it is the curled feathers but they just seem to have this extra spring in their step with a generous helping of silliness .. they are like the Cheshire Cat of the chicken world.

I agree with mollybuck in that the crests on yours do look Polish. Silkie Polish looks and sounds like a legitimate breed
wink.png

Cant wait to get sone eggs or more chicks my next chicken will be a frizzle!! My silkies are great chicks!super pretty with thier gorgeous crests! The crests do seem to obstruct their vision makes them kinda skittish its time to do a trim job! It will be my first so im nervous but i figure if hubby holds them i can do the trimming successfully the first time.
1f425.png

Back
Top Bottom