barnyard mutts - any ideas on parentage?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hoping4better, Nov 27, 2010.

1. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I got these chicks on the 13th and were told they had all hatched within about three - five days of when I got them. So they're around two and a half weeks here. They supposed to be dominiques, but I was told there were other birds in the flock. So, what I've found is I've got a hodgepodge of cute little buggers. Can you guys help me a bit in guessing parentage? If you have an inkling on male or female that's cool too. This is a sampling of the twenty in the brooder. Three are yellowish and I'm guessing from pics I've seen they're mostly buff orpington, but I'll leave final decisions to the pros [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The top one looks like a Barred Rock pullet, not a Dominique.

The second one looks to be something of the partridge color, likely a mutt.

The third one is a Cochin x Barred Rock.

The fourth one looks like a New Hampshire or a mutt.

The fifth one is a Dominique, and a male.

The sixth one is a Barred Rock, and possibly a male, telling by the size of the white dot on its head.

The seventh one is a Buff Orpington.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    none of them are Dominique but they cold have a parrent that is i would keep my eyes out on the barred one cause if their parent with barring was a hen that would make these sex linked and the ones with barring have a higher chance of being roos

*edit*
    OK the third one looks like a Dominique

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Curious, what makes you think none are a Dominique? I see a rose comb in there. . . [​IMG]

5. HAL_9000

HAL_9000 Out Of The Brooder

the second one sorta looks barnevelderish... i have a few barnevelder hens with this coloring...

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Wow....I don't think you got any pure Dominique. Dominique have rose comes and # 4, 5, 6, and 7 have straight combs. I can't quite tell with #1, 2, and 3. Not to say that straight combs won't show up. If you cross chickens with different comb shapes the you will get offspring with different shapes. # 1, 3, and 5 defiantly show barring, but there are a few breeds that can come barred. #4 could have some barring or lacing, but that might fade out when the mature feathers grow in. # 6 appears to show some barring as well, but it is hard to tell. #2 I have no clue but it looks like a pullet. #4 and 5 look like roos.

7. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    Illia
    Curious, what makes you think none are a Dominique? I see a rose comb in there. . .

maybe i should put my glasses on the third one dose look like a Dominique my mistake [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by