Barnyard special? Five toes, easter egg coloring, two weeks old. Roo?

weesy68

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Stratford CT
This is my mystery chick, she is being raised by my broody silkies but the eggs came from a farm where there were many breeds mixed in together.
30192_dsc_0745.jpg

30192_dsc_0746.jpg

30192_dsc_0748.jpg

30192_dsc_0752.jpg

Hmmmm, 5 toes but no leg feathering. Dorking maybe? Houdans have 5 toes and no leg feathers but I dont see a crest or any poof on his head. That funky comb makes me think Sicilian Buttercup. But I have no idea where its coloring came from.

Buttercups don't have 5 toes.

The only breeds that I'm aware of that have 5 toes are:
Silkies
Dorkings
Faverolles
Houdans

Darnit, I know I'm forgetting another breed, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

According to google, sultans have 5 toes too. ETA: But they also have feathered shanks, so that rules it out for this chick.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is going to bug the heck out of me. Do you know the breeds they have? (where you got the eggs)

If this chick had buttercup in it, I'd think the legs would be green. I believe green legs are dominant? (not positive on that though)

I do think the chick is a male no matter what breed it is.

The comb surely looks like a buttercup X silky cross. Is there any other breed that has that type comb?

Last edited:
I have a rooster with a buttercup and his dad was a polish and momma was a barred rock he looked exactly like that except the fifth toe ...
Probably not helpfull at all but yea
roll.png

One of my broodies just hatched out a chick 3 generations removed from silkie, and it still has the 5th toe. No black skin or other silkie traits. That extra toe on your chick could be from way back. Would like to see how your little one grows up!

Back
Top Bottom