1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Barred-acauna

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pigfarmer, Jul 13, 2010.

1. pigfarmer

pigfarmer Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Central Maine
    I have 2 pullets from my Ameracauna roo(s) and barred rock hen(s)...................................
    2 of the 3 "look" like a barred rock, but...... if you know chickens........ the 2 have tufts and peacombs, but yellow legs
    and the natural BR coloring. The other BR cross looks "normal". hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    waiting to see there offspring/eggs

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Do you have any pictures? That's sounds really cool.

3. jerry2009

jerry2009 In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    thats weird...in theory the chicks hatched from a barred rock hen and any rooster that wasnt barred should end up being black sex links, therefore only males would show barred pattern and the hens would not, its weird you got barred pullets..

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes that is true so if they are from Amerucana roos on Barred Rocks hens, and if they are barred, then they are roosters.

Do you have any pics?

5. Hi Brian! "Barred-aucana" is a neat name! Clever! Might I borrow it?
    Check here and you might find some helpful info on what to expect and maybe how to continue:
    my Barred green-egger page.
    Mine are several generations away from an 'accidental cross' (gotta love those happy accidents that spur a new breeding project).
    Good luck and where are the pics?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. pigfarmer

pigfarmer Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Central Maine
    I will try to get pix today to share with you...
    I really believe the 2 are pullets, not cockerels. The combs are way too small, as compared to others in the pen of the same age.

dipsy doodle doo.......you can borrow my bird name if want...just give me credit [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Well if you have barred chicks from a cross of barred hens on non barred, non white roosters, then it is basicly a genetic guarantee that they are cockerels.

8. josh44

josh44 Songster

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I use to have them yrs ago, very beautiful, full tuffed and rumpless too.

I ended up giving them away to a friend about 2yrs ago, & we lost contact with each other.

I wish I took pics. I wouldn't mind seeing them agian anyone have pics of any barred araucanas ?

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I'd love to see photos [​IMG]

10. pigfarmer

pigfarmer Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Central Maine
    Here are some pix I took friday of my "barred-acauna's".....

This is one of my Barred's
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the babies... they are 10wks old today.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

In the last picture, you can see both barred-acauna's. I have one other barred chick, she looks like a normal BR.

Hope this helps [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by