Barred and Great Horned Owls

MightyDucksVT

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
St.Johnsbury, VT
So recently I've had a couple of cases of ducks is disappearing and I think I've found the culprit. The other day, right around dusk, I was getting ready to leave for work when I saw my ducks waddle down near the house, which was odd since they are usually are getting ready to go inside at that time...then I noticed one of my ducks was missing. I raced up to the den (about 150ft) to see if I could catch the predator in the act. I started making lots of noise and jumping around. I could hear her (my duck) but I couldn't see her, and then out of no where she came flapping down from the wooded area another 50ft away. I was so lucky to get her back!
celebrate.gif
At first, I wasn't sure what had grabbed her until I realized all I could see were wing marks in the snow- no tracks. Well that ruled out our other friend Mr.Fox, then I remembered when I was little and had chickens we had a problem with owls. It makes perfect sense seeing as how I live right next door to the house I grew up in...and could never find a trace of the ducks that went missing.
idunno.gif

I was wondering if anyone had some good tips of deterring owls in particular? I do close my flock in their den at night, however sometimes they aren't put away until after dusk due to my work schedule. I have a dusk til dawn light on the den which has helped predators stay away long enough for me to get home to get them in, but now this is happening...
hide.gif
Any information about your experience with owl predators would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Can you do a covered run? Even if you free range maybe a covered run with small ground level entry so they have some overhead cover until you can close the door for the night.

Ducks are in their own right an aggrivation for me but they are protected by being able to walk between numerous chicken pens during twilight hours when Great-horned Owl begins to hunt. A neighbor with much great owl issues than I uses covered runs but that means sacrificing free-range time. He also has geese that may reduce owl's interest in his flock, My dogs also help him out when owl gets interested in the geese.

Thanks for the advice! At this time I am unable to cover the area around the den. I finish building it in the fall and needed a brake before installing a fence. I plan on setting it up in the Spring, however until then are there any tricks I can use to prevent the owls from attempting to grab a duck snack? I know hanging CD's and decoys can help with other birds like hawks, but I don't know if anyone has tried this with owls...
hu.gif
?

Back
Top Bottom