Barred Buff Cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Huny, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I found a gentleman selling these beautiful birds' eggs on eggbid, but I seem to keep getting out bid. So I am going to reinvent the wheel here, and found some info.

To get a barred (or cuckoo) Buff Cochin, would I breed a Buff with a Barred (or Cuckoo), then take the hens from that match up and breed them back to an unrelated buff? Has anyone done this? Has anyone developed different barred colors?

2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I seen these too. They are awsome.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    I've seen them too he seems to be doing quite well with them. I know who he got his start from, and who that man got his start from. I've got 1 male right now myself who's father was from the source and hope to increase my numbers this year. Its one of those, easy to make, hard to breed proper, kind of colors it seems.

headed to work, will have to try to post a pic of him later.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

To get a barred (or cuckoo) Buff Cochin, would I breed a Buff with a Barred (or Cuckoo), then take the hens from that match up and breed them back to an unrelated buff? Has anyone done this? Has anyone developed different barred colors?

I've made buff & red cuckoo orpingtons in US & am doing some others. Back in UK I made cuckoo in a number of colours in Araucana (UK type with tail & crest). It works much as you say & when you're satisfied with what you are getting you can pick up another barring gene in the males to make them breed true.​

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive seen those also. They are gorgeous!

7. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Wow...those are cool.

Are there any other breeds that are buff barred? I've never seen the full barred pattern in anything but black.

UC

8. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I was thinking of getting red frizzel cochins and the red silikies. Has any one seen the red birds? I really like the sizzels. The silkie and cochin bantams are my favorites. Right now my lil rooster is from a silkie/cochin cross Hes really cute has normal feathers,yellow skin, top knott.[​IMG]

9. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:The guy who started the line of buff barred cochins I talked about earlier is also working on buff cuckoo Polish. he had to start from scratch again last year though after losing most of his stock.

10. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I know they are gorgeous, and they are very popular! That is why I can't get my hands on any eggs! They have been going for 40+ shipping for 10 of them, and my husband doesn't want to take that chance on eggs. Plus, I like the challenge of seeing if I could do it myself [​IMG]

I have bought eggs from Steve before, and I actually had one buff barred, but it didn't make it. It was a very healthy chick, I just didn't realize my brooder was a mess till it was too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by