Barred chick sexing....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ParkerVA, Feb 17, 2008.

1. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    These chicks are accidental Barred Rock x Black/Blue Ameraucana.... any ideas on sexes?

First, 2 of the 3 blacks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 3rd one (not pictured) looks just the like the one of the left/bottom.

Here are the 3 blues:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Don't know but they're really cute.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Parker! I love the blue barred babies! And I can do that, too. I have a blue Ameraucana and Barred Rock roos. hmmm. Makes me want to hatch some of that cross. Sexing rules may go out the window with the cross, but on your first pic, I'd say on the right, cockerel and left pullet. Forget the blues, LOL!!

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    The Sex Link Hybrid is the result of crossing two purebred standard breeds. The Rhode Island Red rooster and the Barred Rock hen. The baby Chicks are color sexed- males barred (black with light color on head) , pullets are black.

Does this help?

The picture these are talking about are black with the light spot on top. Look just like yours, they are just adorable but it looks like they are Cockerals. Not sure about the others,

[​IMG]

5. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Thanks speckled, I thought the same on the black ones. I love the black (hopefully) pullet in the picture. She is the friendliest one of the batch.

With the blues, I feel like the one on the right is a pullet. We shall see, they were an accident, but I like the experiment with colors!

Thanks Churkenduse, I don't think the auto-sexing applies here. All of the chicks are marked like barred birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by