Barred-Columbian question

eatmorechicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
how dificult it is to make this color pattern? Has anyone ever tried breeding this pattern without using delewares? Or accedentally mixed breeds that produced barred-columbian? I like delewares. But Im way more interested in the light breeds and thought I would create a delaware patterened light breed ( just another project to play with
big_smile.png
). I read that the delawares we have now are the result of the brioler industry crossing barred rock males to new hampshire hens. A small percent of the hybrids produced as described "silver", not sure if thats light barred or silver duckwingish, but were saved for future breeding because the silver pattern made a cleener looking carcass. Those birds were then bred back to new hampshires to produce a silver columbian but with barring in the hackle and tail..... My head hurts thinking about this. It seems kinda complicated. I was wondering if i could use a similar pattern in breeding but leaving reds out of the picture, such as; breeding a barred rooster to silver columbian hen, to produce a much larger percenatge of "silver" birds and then breeding those back into columbian to make the delaware pattern. What do you think. Is there a shortcut?

Dang! I just sold my crele silkie roo (of course he didn't have the wing triangle). Could have crossed him with my bantam buff brahmas.

The silkieXbrahma cross is a very nice bird.

Quote:
Ok, Thats really similar to how the delaware was produced except your saying I need to try crele instead of barred. I could probably pull that off with the breeds that are available but I might have a hard time finding a buff columbian light breed. would it work the same if I used a silver columbian?And what is a "wing triangle" it sounds critical
lol.png
And you say the cockerells will be barred columbian what are the pullets going to be and what do I breed the cockerells with to produce a true breeding barred columbian?
thnx for the reply!

I have thought about doing something similar in a way. I thought it would be cool to see barred lakenvelders, I mean barred like a Deleware but a lakenvelder so they would be light weight and all. To do that you would cross a deleware cock to lakenvelder hens and mate a cockerel back to lakenvelder hens. Just keep doing that until they look good. But if I remember correctly there is still the sexlink barring so if you mated a barred columbian hen to a lakenvelder cock you would get a sexlink where the males would be barred columbian and the pullets would be columbian.

But if you then breed the F1 barred columbian cockerels to the P1 or F1 columbian hens you should get 50% barred, regardless of gender.

Keep the F2 barred columbian of both genders and breed together. (If you have two separate groups going at the same time you can mix the two groups together to avoid brother to sister matings.) Start looking for lighter coloured males in this F3 generation--they will be hom for barring. Eventually you'll want all males to be hom, and at that point they should breed true.

Quote:
Ok, Thats really similar to how the delaware was produced except your saying I need to try crele instead of barred. I could probably pull that off with the breeds that are available but I might have a hard time finding a buff columbian light breed. would it work the same if I used a silver columbian?And what is a "wing triangle" it sounds critical
lol.png
And you say the cockerells will be barred columbian what are the pullets going to be and what do I breed the cockerells with to produce a true breeding barred columbian?
thnx for the reply!

You could also use buff or maybe a single laced breed.

The pullets would be less clean columbians because not purebreed yet. No problem.

Wing triangle = duckwing.

Back
Top Bottom