Barred Easter Egger (BR x BBS Ameraucana)...Sex? (New Pics Post #18)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Aug 5, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

My broody hen, Glenda, has three Barred EE chicks and a Black Orpington, all five weeks old. To me, all except this one look very much like boys. This one, I'm not too sure about. Any impressions? I know, I may have to wait a bit longer, but someone wanted one of these and if there are no girls, she's out of luck, I'm afraid. There are two blues and one black in this cross.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    its a........................GIRL....[​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Stance looks a little rooish but I'm still saying pullet.

4. speckledhen

Sure hope you're right, Marvin and Mahonri! Thanks for the input.

5. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I'll hope with you. I have a barred EE chick, Checkers, who started out meaner than snot (just like the BR roo) but when she lost her friend she got really sweet and just has to be held and now I want to keep her ... but I won't keep another roo. So I call her a she in the hopes that it is a pullet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Do the saddle feathers look female? A cutie, for sure, but not sure about that comb! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

I sure hope your Checkers is a pullet! I have one in my layer flock, a black barred one named Panda. She didn't get a beard, just the weird gob of chewing gum comb (pea/single combo). She lays a nice light green egg. I dont plan to keep any of these chicks, but who knows? The other blue one is a definite cockerel (comb is wide and pink already) and I think I'd like to see how he matures. The blue plus the barring is pretty cool.

8. speckledhen

Tori, it's too early for saddle feathers yet. I'll be looking for them, trust me, but seems those dont pop out there till about 9-10 weeks old.

9. rizq

rizq Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Mine was 10 weeks yesterday. I was just telling those saddle area feathers that they had better stay rounded! Maybe I am in the clear ... but the little comb is too red for comfort on mine. Still hoping though [​IMG]

I love the blue barred chickens, they are so neat. Mine is just a plain old black ... looks like a barred rock with just a hint of muffs, lol.

10. speckledhen

rizq, part the back feathers and look underneath for the shiny saddles coming in. If you can't see them yet, could be they are underneath, just coming through. I sure hope not, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: