Barred Easter Egger (BR x BBS Ameraucana)...Sex? (New Pics Post #18)

Does the dark wash down the legs apply to these chicks? The BR x EE pullets I hatched had much more than the cockerals.

Based solely on that pic in the first post I was going to say cockeral.

I don't mind being wrong!
big_smile.png

I'm not sure we can use that reliably. Heck, sometimes it isn't even reliable in pure BRs. The barred baby has a chunkier body than the known cockerels, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. This one has more of a beard and muffs than the other blue or the black one, both of whom I believe are male.

Is it possible to create a sexlink with a BRXBlue ameraucana mating? My planned crossing for EE (green egg) would be this cross, hoping for nice lay rate, and table friendly cockrels for sale

You could only create a sexlinked chick with a BR hen with Ameraucana or EE rooster. The males would be the barred ones, then. I think they'd be smaller birds than would be ideal for the table, but you can process anything, just may take more than one to give you much meat. My Ameraucanas tend to be smaller bodied than most of my other standard breeds.

That doesn't work with Ameraucanas at all, in my experience. BRs, yes, but these take after the Ameraucana side of the family and they all get the tails together.'

Usually, the Ameraucana girls' tails seem more fan-like, while the boys are more narrow and reach further out, but that is messed up when I cross the two breeds and I'm not sure it's a great indicator anyway.

it does work sometimes below is a picture of 2 amerecauna chicks sold as all girls the one without a tail turned out to be a rooster, and the one with a tail coming in is my best layer
24817_sadf.jpg

There's an innate problem with sexing rules. Some just don't read their manuals, LOL. Even with BRs being pretty easy to color sex, some just don't come out the way the rules say for their sex. With pea combed breeds, the comb is usually the best indicator, however, when you cross a single combed breed with a pea combed breed, that muddies the waters alot.

My blue roo is HUGE, and the mature hens are also pretty beefy, I have 2 pullets from another line that are a lil rangy almost like a med. breed, but the stock I got together fill out nicely as adults. On a mildy related note, I purchased 6 "aurucana" chicks at the auction, 2 are white with yellow legs they other 4 are very EE looking, 2 are rumpless, does this mean they are from aurucana mixes and not ameraucana?

Back
Top Bottom