Barred Easter Egger help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bigspringshatchery, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    This is my barred ee. The color has just started to come in, in about the last month. Would could he be mix with. My hen doesn't have this color. Her pattern is like a br. And will the babies have this or is it a toss up. Maybe you can see it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What you're seeing is barring with gold leakage. In other words, one of the parents was either a duckwing, partridge, or crowwing type bird. (red, brown, black patterning)

The male shown will continue to feather out those golden barred markings, and soon he'll look like a crele bird. (gold barring over normal barring)

3. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    That's what thought too when I first seen it was duckwing. You said gold barring. He also has blue. Will that be mixed in? And why don't the hen have this? They came from same parents.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't see any blue on him. Perhaps it doesn't show in the photo? If he had blue, it would show up in all of his barring but the golden parts.

The females don't show it because it is not a part of the duckwing pattern for it to appear. It is the same for having solid black or blue birds with leakage - The males will display a lot of gold hackles and saddle feathers as well as shoulder coloring - But the females show none, except maybe a tad in the neck.

See here, this is a blue barred Araucana female with gold in her neck. Barely even visible.

[​IMG]

It's just a part of how the patterning works with male vs female. Female Duckwings naturally do not have "gold" on them except for in their necks, but faint, while males clearly show it through their shoulders, hackles, and saddle. So, in result - Leakage will only show in those areas. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by