Barred Easter egger What do you think would happen?

mikki717

My Drug of Choice- Chickens
11 Years
Dec 7, 2009
Hesperia, CA
During a hatch this spring, I got a Barred roo with the Americuna beard. (Barred Rock over partridge EE hen.)

He is scheduled for freezer camp, but then I look at two BBS Ameracauna hens, and two BB Americauna hens from his hatch. (Different lines completely... these I bought from MediaZeal.)
Now a breeding project is in my head. Would the barred roo over the BBS and BB hens produce a barred EE?

Both roo and hens are about 18 weeks old, so I would need to constrcu a preeding pen.

I have not done a lot of researh on genetics, so I need to ask th eggsperts.
wink.png
What do you think the outcome would be?

Edited to erease sleep deprivation caused poor spelling...

Last edited:
These are the colors I'm aware of for Ameraucana. I'm not sure what you mean by BB or BBS Ameraucana. I'm assuming they are not barred from your post or else you would not be asking.

Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White

The Barred Rock over Partridge hen produces a rooster that has one Barred gene (B) and one Not Barred Gene (b). So he is Bb. Those hens are not barred, so they have a single (b) gene. A female only has one barred gene, either B or b. She gives that barred gene to her sons and none to her daughters. The B gene is dominant, so if the chicken has one copy of the B gene, it will be barred.

So if you cross the Bb rooster with a b hen, half the offspring will get a B from the father and half will get a b. The roosters only would also get a b from the mother. So you would wind up with.

50% of the roosters would be Bb and would show barring.
50% of the roosters would be bb and not be barred.

50% of the pullets would be B and would show barring.
50% of the pullets would be b and would not be barred.

Not knowing what the BB or BBS are hurts a bit. It will probably be obvious when I hear what they are but I'm on my first cup of coffee. Some chickens can be barred and not express it all over. Delaware for example. The barring does not show up on the white feathers although it is present. It does show up on the black feathers though. But yes, that cross will produce half barred EE's and half not barred.

If the BB and BBS Ameraucana are truly Ameraucana, they should have two copies of the blue egg gene. If I remember right, the symbol for that is O. The rooster will be split for the blue egg gene, so he will have Oo. The blue egg gene is dominant so if the hen has one copy of the blue egg gene, she will show it. The rooster will also have some other genes that produce brown eggs, so any eggs from his offspring that have the blue egg gene should lay green eggs, not blue.

Since the hens are OO and the rooster is Oo, all their female offspring should lay a green egg. But half will be pure for the blue egg gene OO and half will be split, Oo. If you continue to breed with the ones that are Oo, unless they are bred to a chicken that is OO, you might get some that lay eggs that are not green.

Last edited:
Is BB equal to Black Barred? I believe BBS is blue black splash. By partridge, do you mean partridge as in partridge rock or as in dark brown leghorns.

Are the birds blue or splash.?

You need to clarify what you are crossing.

Ridge runner did an excellent job of explaining the cross.

As stated in the previous post, additional information is needed to predict the exact outcome of the crosses.

Tim

Last edited:
I think the outcome will create Easter Eggers.
wink.png

The "partridge" EE you have is actually a duckwing with Columbian, confuses a lot of other people too. I don't know what BB stands for, but, Ameraucana has no I in the name, so I'm assuming they're Easter Eggers. The Barred male you have, you're gonna need to breed out his leg color which I highly assume is yellow, and then there's the fact that we're not positive all your hens are Ameraucanas. The best route though for a barred Ameraucana is by crossing back to SOLID blues or blacks. And breeding away from both brown eggs, which is tricky, as well as the improper hatchery Barred Rock type and the wrong leg color. (needs to be slate with white soles, however barred birds may appear lighter)

Back
Top Bottom