Barred gene question! Newly hatched OE

CaswellCoop

Chirping
Dec 11, 2021
Deep east Texas
Hi! Hoping to get some insight..
We just had our first baby hatch this morning! So exciting! It is an OE, not sure about the breeds of the parents, the eggs were shipped from a hatchery. This baby is black (I think, still wet, hard to tell for sure) with a white spot on its head. Does this mean male? Or does the hen have to be the barred parent for that sex-link to work? The barred parent could have been the dad, they wont tell me either way but obviously one of them was barred.. I think CLB. TIA!

a white spot on its head. Does this mean male? Or does the hen have to be the barred parent for that sex-link to work?
You are correct: the hen must be the barred parent to produce sexlinks.
If the father is barred, then ALL chicks will be barred.

The barred parent could have been the dad, they wont tell me either way but obviously one of them was barred.. I think CLB.
They might be doing several different crosses, and not keeping track of which eggs come from which cross.

What color egg did the chick hatch from?

You are correct: the hen must be the barred parent to produce sexlinks.
If the father is barred, then ALL chicks will be barred.

They might be doing several different crosses, and not keeping track of which eggs come from which cross.

What color egg did the chick hatch from?
Dark brown.. which means most likely the dad was the CLB? They did tell me that they do use CLB in the crosses

Dark brown.. which means most likely the dad was the CLB? They did tell me that they do use CLB in the crosses
Yes, if a CLB was involved, it must be the father (because a Legbar mother would have laid a blue egg.)

They would only tell me that they do use legbars in the crosses sometimes. This chick hatched from a brown egg.
I see why you find that unhelpful! Saying they use Legbars "sometimes" may mean that some crosses have no Legbar at all.

Yes, if a CLB was involved, it must be the father (because a Legbar mother would have laid a blue egg.)

I see why you find that unhelpful! Saying they use Legbars "sometimes" may mean that some crosses have no Legbar at all.
Exactly. Some crosses use them some dont, I guess they have several different OE crosses. Very vague in their answers lol they dont want me knowing their secret's.. even though they're not secrets 🤣

Exactly. Some crosses use them some dont, I guess they have several different OE crosses. Very vague in their answers lol they dont want me knowing their secret's.. even though they're not secrets 🤣
You may be able to sort some of it out as the chick grows:

Pea comb or muff/beard would probably mean some Ameraucana ancestry (or Easter Eggers that are Ameraucana wanna-bes).

Small crest would indicate Cream Legbar ancestry.

Foot feathers (sparse) could indicate Marans ancestry.
Heavy foot feathers would indicate some parent with lots of foot feathers.

Color may help a little, although the dark colors from Black Copper Marans or Cuckoo Marans could cover up most of what the other parent contributes.

You may be able to sort some of it out as the chick grows:

Pea comb or muff/beard would probably mean some Ameraucana ancestry (or Easter Eggers that are Ameraucana wanna-bes).

Small crest would indicate Cream Legbar ancestry.

Foot feathers (sparse) could indicate Marans ancestry.
Heavy foot feathers would indicate some parent with lots of foot feathers.

Color may help a little, although the dark colors from Black Copper Marans or Cuckoo Marans could cover up most of what the other parent contributes.
That's all very helpful, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom