Barred genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I know that when you have a barred rooster you would expect all barred offspring. Barred on buff, red (RIR) BB red and SLW, will any other colors bleed threw in the barring? Dont sometimes if you cross BBred on black you can get red shoulders on the black offspring?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If you breed a barred male to a buff female, all offspring will be barred but the coloring will bleed through. I have birds from this combination, they colored out with faint barring (almost a lacing color) in the females and were either gold & brown or silver & dark grey. Barring in the males was much more predominate, with bleeding of the buff color (giving it almost a crele pattern) as gold or silver.

So, to answer your question - yes the colors may bleed through.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Black stars are very good examples of color bleeding thru in black crosses.

If you're wanting a black and barred bird with red on hackles, shoulders and saddles on the roosters, try crossing with birchens. Most birchens are also silver, which causes white on those areas.. however the same birds without the silver gene will have red in the same areas. Black Coppers are examples of birchens without silver.

4. ThiefPouter06

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Thanks guys. I was hoping for bleeding through of the colors. That way at least all my barred offspring will have some variation.

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Why do you get all barred babies w/ a barred roo? Is it dominant? And someone said it was sex-linked?

6. ThiefPouter06

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    barred sex link crosses are only from barred hens. Males give barred genes to all offspring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by