Barred Green-egger / BB or Bb ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Hi! I *think* he's BB, but need another opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Looks Bb to me. What you need is a barred hen to compare him to.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I'm guessing Bb too. Reasons- overall looks "dark" plus amount of black feathers, wings are dark and spotting on legs. Comparing to related barred females is excellent suggestion.

Will find out for sure after breeding him, even if with a barred hen. If he's Bb and bred with barred hen, half of the daughters will come out non-barred.

4. Hi! I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for to tell the difference between BB and Bb.
    He hatched from this pen:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That blue barred rooster is Bb --- he's from a barred green-egger hen x Ameraucana rooster so he could ONLY be Bb, right? And I get a % of solid female chicks from that pen.

Well, shoot!
    I was really hoping the new guy was BB.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Bb x B-(hens)= males: half BB half Bb. Females: half B- half b-

Yes the father is Bb if the Ameraucana roo was not barred. He looks light due to white leaking and other things.

Did you get very light chicks, with giant head spot plus lots of gray and white on back? Those are the potential BB cockerels.

6. Did you get very light chicks, with giant head spot plus lots of gray and white on back? Those are the potential BB cockerels.

Hi Kev! I remembered you saying that before and I thought he fit that description, but I could be mistaken. I've hatched loads of chicks from that pen and the cockerels come out all over the place --- wacky combs, non-bearded, etc.
    It would have been nice if this new guy was BB. I need to go back over the other guys and see if I missed someone that *IS* BB.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by