barred hollands

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by southerngamebirds1, Jan 23, 2010.

1. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    i want to raise a rare heritage breed and am considering barred hollands. does anyone know much about them? do they look like barred rocks? or tthey obviously different from them so they wont get mixed up? tfyh, mark

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are usually smaller birds with less precise barring but since they are white egg layers with brown earlobes, an exception to the rule, I'm not sure exactly how else to ID them since I've never seen on in person. The pictures I've seen show a more lean bodied bird than a BR should be, but some of the lower quality hatchery BRs may also be too small bodied. And some hatchery Hollands lay tinted rather than actual white eggs I was told by someone who used to keep them. He got his from Sandhill Preservation.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I have had them in the past. They are a little larger than leghorns but not as flighty. They look like similar to a barred leghorn. They are good egg layers of medium to large eggs. I did not find anything wrong with the birds and would get some more if I needed them for a project.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by