Barred Leghorn *pic*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Nov 29, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I don't guess Leghorn's are officially recognized in barred, but doesn't this one look like it! Is there any way we could try to purify the barred coloring in a Leghorn? This one is still young, but I'm 99% sure its a roo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW a new breed [​IMG] how odd to see a tall tall barred rock [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not a surprise-a Barred Rock rooster would pass on the barring to all his offspring in varying degrees. Can't answer your question about clearing up the barring, but that's an interesting-looking bird.

4. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    So ya'll think it looks like a barred Leghorn roo, too? I guess I will just have to start by putting him with a barred Rock hen in the spring to see how dominant the gene is. He's about 17 weeks old now.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Actually you want to breed him back to leghorn hens if you are planning on setting a barred leghorn characteristic. Then breed those chicks and start selecting.

6. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    You're right, I realized that after I posted. [​IMG] I will do that this spring and see how it goes.

7. sailor_v

sailor_v Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    california
    He beautiful. and at the same time he an interesting looking too.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I cant see the pic yet, this puter wont let pics show up but to answer the first question. Barred leghorns are accepted in bantam. Second, you could always cross it to some light brown leghorns and get crele or cross him to some really nice barred rock hens and select for type and color. There are also california greys that have decent barring and maybe try the production blacks from Ideal(they are a barred leghorn type). Oh and Strombergs sells barred leghorns.

9. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Pooh! I was all excited about the barred Leghorn, but I guess he's old news *haha*

Added: I could not find barred Leghorns on Stromberg's website, and I didn't see barred Leghorns in standard or bantam in the Standard. It was a '98 list, were they added in the '01 edition?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  10. LeghornGuy

LeghornGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    New Orleans
    Ideal Poultry sells a "production black" that looks like a leghorn but it is a cross.
    It is a nice looking roo.
    Good luck with your flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by