Barred Leghorns and small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pretendfarmer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. pretendfarmer

pretendfarmer New Egg

Aug 20, 2012
    Portland OR
    I have tried searching for barred leghorns in the forums and don't get much useful, so I'll try a post.

I bought 4 chicks last spring, 2 of which I was told were "barred leghorns" and 2 of which I was told were "gold sex link." They all started laying back in August. I get two beautiful big brown eggs almost every day from the sex links, but one of my barred leghorns lays once every two days, and the other one just about every day. However, their eggs are VERY small. I have always heard that leghorns, and variations of them, were egg-laying machines, but these two ladies are anything but. Does anyone have any experience with this breed? Are leghorns slow to start but great eventually?

They get Purina Layena food that is supposed to be nutritionally complete for layers. They also have oyster shell available as free choice, and they get a lot of greens, veggies, grass trimmings, etc as treats, and when I don't have greens as treats, they get scratch that is cracked corn and wheat mixed. They do not free range right now, but they have a large enclosed run that I keep clean.

Any suggestions?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Never heard of barred leghorns. How did you acquire them? Pullets usually start out with small eggs and take around eight weeks to get to full size. Regular leghorns are laying machines, usually starting between 18 and 20 weeks laying white eggs. You may have the product of someones crosses there. Different cross breeds often produce results that are not expected, good or bad.

3. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Do you have a picture of the barred leghorn? You may not have enough posts yet to post a picture but I'd love to see a picture.

I just hatched some chicks, leghorn hen and barred rock rooster. Two chicks, one is white the other is black and white. Leghorns generally start laying young and regular. Barred Rocks seem to start laying later and the eggs are a little smaller. I'm sure others have seen thing different than this but this is what I've seen.

4. pretendfarmer

pretendfarmer New Egg

Aug 20, 2012
    Portland OR
    I picked these chicks up from a local feed store that got their chicks from Privett Hatchery. Privett actually has barred leghorns listed on their website for purchase. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures to post yet, but I hope to soon.

They all started laying early August, so I guess it hasn't been a full 8 weeks of laying yet. Maybe they'll hit their stride in a couple more weeks. It's all good, it just means I have to use 3-4 eggs for breakfast instead of 2!

5. what did I do

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    The Barred Leghorn looks to be a cross between a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Leghorn - interesting. I'm guessing they do crosses there to get birds that can handle the heat well, Yours should. The eggs may not get as big as a leghorns but that isn't all bad. Big eggs can cause problems and hurt the bird. As they get older they may lay bigger eggs, only time will tell.

6. what did I do

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I was wondering if you were getting eggs yet? I have chicks that are a Barred Rock Leghorn cross, they are beautiful. I have one hen and one cockerel. I love watching them grow.

I'll post pics if you are around.

7. pretendfarmer

pretendfarmer New Egg

Aug 20, 2012
    Portland OR
    My barred leghorns are laying. The eggs have gotten a little bigger and closer to normal size. I have two of them. One lays an egg every day. The other lays on average every other day. Sometimes I'll get a couple of days in a row where they both lay, but for the most part it follows a 2-1-2-1 pattern.

My gold sex links each lay a big beautiful brown egg pretty much every day, although with the days getting shorter, colder and wetter, I have been having a few skips here and there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by