Barred making weird noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snakelife, Jul 24, 2013.

1. snakelife

snakelife Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    I'll try and make this as clear as possible. I bought a barred rock and buff Orpington about 17 weeks ago. The barred rock was 4 weeks when we got her and the buff was 10 weeks. The buff was a rooster little did I know. At almost 30 weeks old the buff crowed and had to be given up. He was traded for a 22 week old Easter egger. I now have 2 22 week old chickens. When we brought the EE home the pecking order was established and the barred rock is now the dominant chicken. Today I was out doing yard work and the Barred started doing a clucking noise like I have never heard before. A soft clucking at first and then let's out 1 or 2 louder ones then it gets soft and so on. This happened around 5 o clock or so. (Evening of course. I don't do yard work in the dark morning hours) no stretching of the wings or neck either. So was it the egg song? Or was it a crow? It sounded nothing like my BOs crowing antics. It sounded like the egg song but no squatting or eggs. She has a small comb and waddle. But if I had just the BO and the barred together and they were both roosters wouldn't the BO have killed the barred since they are the only two chickens in the yard? Next time I'm outside I will try to video it and get it up here.

2. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    chickens do some pretty weird stuff!! I have had some of my hens do that too before. I think its just a way to amuse the other chickens:)lol
    I don't know why, but don't worry nothing is wrong with her. if it was a rooster the it would have crowed by now.

3. snakelife

snakelife Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    Ok thats what i thought. If you had 2 roosters and NO other chickens wouldn't they kill each other?

4. countrygirl14

Jul 23, 2013
    Yes they can... I guess it depends on how much they hate each other lol:)

5. countrygirl14

Jul 23, 2013
    if there was a rooster then you would hear crowing a lot and would probably wake you up in the morning

6. snakelife

snakelife Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    She is a dark black color. I'm thinking she's a pullet. Yay!!! :DDD

7. countrygirl14

Jul 23, 2013
    that's great! It stinks getting stuck with roosters. she was probably just practicing her egg song! haha

8. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Songster

Shes likely practicing her 'egg song'. You may have eggs soon.:)

9. snakelife

snakelife Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    Yay finally. Now looking through pics of the color Difference Between rooster and hens can tell I have a pullet. Is there anyway I can induce the egg laying. I live in FL and its nice and sunny and my neighbors hens just started to lay. Can I give them a certain fruit or what? :D

10. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Songster

LOL, no, they'll lay when they're ready. Make sure you switch her to layer feed or keep offering regular feed & offer crushed oyster shells as well. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: