Barred?? Mix Breed Chick AKA What Color Will It Be

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by malndobe, Dec 17, 2013.

1. malndobe

malndobe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA
    I hatched this chick Nov 26 so he/she is 3 weeks old now. At hatch it was a normal chipmunk looking chick. It's the chick in the background on the left, and the one in the picture on the right.

[​IMG]

At 3 weeks old it looks to my very untrained eye like it might be barred?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea what he/she will look like as an adult? It's from my layer flock, possible fathers are a Jubilee/Buff cross Orpington, a mix breed that looks like a New Hampshire but may be half BLRW, or a black BLRW. Although I haven't seen the pure BLRW ever breed a hen, I've seen him try a few times (the other two chase him off) so it's possible. Possible hens are a Production Red or a Jubilee/Buff Orpington. I also have a Black Jersey Giant hen but it's my understanding all her chicks would be black.

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    With all those different possible chicken lineages, it's hard to say! The chick looks really pretty though; very nice coloring on her wings. Please keep us up dated on what she ends up growing into!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's not barring, its just a stage juvenile plumage goes through. None of the breeds you listed are barred, and barred birds always have a white or cream headspot at hatch, your bird didn't. The coloring you're seeing may be some of the jubilee coming through, I'm not familiar enough with that coloring to know what it looks like at this stage.

4. malndobe

malndobe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    S. CA
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering how it could look barred when none of the potential parents were. I believe the Jubilee color is basically a mille fleurs pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by