barred or sex link w/really white legs?? plus rir???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mispollitos, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Well, this chicken looks pretty good...but the legs are really white!!! Not a barred rock but a great looking black sex link or het something??

http://flic.kr/p/9cDAwh

These others are rir???
    http://flic.kr/p/9cDMzq

hoping to get some from the same seller. Hey, if they lay large eggs, I'm happy!!! even if they're mutts [​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The barred Hen is not a black sexlink. Black sexlink hens, as the name implies, are black with a bit of gold on the head and neck and roosters come out het. barred(coloured like yours). Thats what makes them sexable at hatch.
    Not sure what that hen is, could be a barred holland, or a barred barnyard cross.

As for the other hens the ones with the yellow legs could be rir, the one with the slate legs behind the rooster looks like some sort of game cross.

3. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    bump

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The barred hen is a cuckoo marans. Should lay really dark eggs.
    The reds look like production reds (what hatcheries call RIRs), bred to be great layers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    Thank you! I'll confirm the color eggs the cuckoo marans is laying! Wonderful news about the production reds! I feel I've finally located a win, win place!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've had hatchery barred rocks with legs that colour, and no, they did not lay a particularly dark egg. So that would be my guess--looks like the birds primary function is to provide eggs and possibly meat, so productive dual-purpose breeds seems logical.

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My only thought is how common are Marans in Mexico? OP needs to remember the breeds they have down there may not be the same as the breeds we have in the states. I have no idea if there are hatcheries in Mexico, or is it more of a backyard thing? I'm betting most of the birds she's gonna find are a truer dual purpose bird, as opposed to a specific breed.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Yes but remember our border is not vey secure.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes the Barred one is a hen, Shes not a Black Sexlink as Black sexlink hens are Black and the males are Barred ( hence the sexlink part) . And yes, hens can only be het for barring.

And the Reds to me actually look like Production Reds with a little bit of Gamefowl influence that may have been bred in. Which would probably make them even better layers and more likely to set and brood.

Congradulations, it looks like you FINALLY, found you some hens lol

GOOD LUCK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by