1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Orpington Cockerel, 5 Wks , FREE, (TAKEN!)/ N.GA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by speckledhen, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This chick was sired by a Blue Orp rooster over a hefty RIR/Buff Orp cross hen. Both parents came from breeder and exhibition stock. Apparently, a hidden barring gene manifested itself in the almost 5 wk old cockerel. This boy is 3/4 Orpington and 1/4 RIR. Might be a good foundation for a Barred Orpington project for someone! I've asked genetics folk and they say the best thing to do is to cross him with buffs or reds to make buff barred or red barred. I am near the juncture of TN/GA/NC in Fannin County, GA. Must pick him up, no shipping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Where are you? I would love to buy him after reading the genetics about him.

3. Huny

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Ooops Just saw. Too bad we live on opposite ends of the country!

4. speckledhen

Well, darn. This would be a great project for someone. I just don't have the room, the time or the inclination to see what I can produce from him.

5. Huny

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Are we sure you can't ship him with lots of greens and fruit [​IMG] (I wouldn't stress the poor thing out, I'm just kidding) Darn it, How long a drive is it from Arizona to Georgia LOL! I want to do a barred buff orp so bad it hurts!

6. speckledhen

Well, what you could do is get some BBS Orp eggs from my Suede and his ladies then hope a barred bird popped out of one, LOL!

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    You are killing me! Tell Robin to bring him back.

Honey, we need to build another pen!!!!!

I have a few Buff Girls his same age, might as well see what happens!

[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Karen, I love ya, my friend, LOL. I'll keep this little critter till she comes up here. Want anymore eggs? Dusty's and Skye's are fertile for the time being. I can collect a few if you want.

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Sure, eggs are always appreciated! I would love to get some more chicks from your flock.

Besides, eggs do not count in Chicken Math, you can't count your chickens before they hatch [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Love that Chicken Math! I'll mark this cutie sold. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by