Barred Plymouth Rock Gender!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BarredCometLaced, Jul 10, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    We got a barred Plymouth rock chick 2 weeks that was supposed to be a hen, but now we aren't so sure... Can anyone help?? Or, is it too early to tell?

[​IMG]

This is of her feet, apparently, that can help with sexing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, i am knew at raising chickens; any tips?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am pretty sure it is a female because it has more dark on her feathers than white. Males would be more half and half with the b/w and appear lighter in color. Just read here on BYC and ask questions and you will find plenty of info about chicken care. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Florida! [​IMG]

I think that your chick is a pullet also. [​IMG] She's very cute.

4. BarredCometLaced

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    Thanks fo the responses! I really hope she's a pullet because roosters aren't aloud in our neighborhood.

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Kind of early to tell, but I vote pullet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] from NY!

6. BarredCometLaced

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    Thanks guys! I've got my fingers crossed! Luckily, we found someone who could take her if she is a roo. I really hope she's a pullet... She is so interesting!

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I am raising 3 pullets right now, and raised 5 roos last year, yours looks like a pullet...as to what do you need to know about chicks, just do some searching here on this site, and ask any questions you want, NONE are stupid...poop, food, feathers, whatever..ask away, we are all here to help you out! Check the "Raising Baby Chicks" thread, it should help you out, or go to the home page and find the Basics link...good luck!

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Going against popular opinion, with that huge white spot on his head and those big honkin' legs, I say cockerel. Sorry if I am right.

9. BarredCometLaced

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    When do you think it will be definite that she is a roo or pullet? When do roos start crowing?

10. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    BR Pullets have little round eraser sized white dots on the top of thier heads. Cockerels have big blotchy spots. I think you have a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by