Barred Plymouth Rock Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by freeby, Jun 23, 2016.

1. freeby

freeby New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    I was reading an article about Barred Plymouth Rock geneticshttp://barrebplymouthrock.com/content/breeding which states that when a dark barred male(Ba,Bl) is mated with a dark barred female(Ba,_), 25% dark males, 25%dark females, 25%light males(sport), and 25% black females will be produced. I have never produced this black females from all my breeding thus far, all have been light and dark barred males/females. Can somebody on this forum explain the material in this article regarding the black females produced?
    Thanks,
    Charles

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington

The link don't work

3. freeby

freeby New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
  4. freeby

freeby New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Here is a link to this article againhttp://barredplymouthrock.com/content/breeding-barred-rocks

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If the rooster only has one barring gene (not purebred), then yes, it's possible for him to produce black female chicks. The barred hen can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring. Only half of the female chicks will get a barring gene. The rest will look similar to black sexlinks. Half the cockerels will have a single barring gene (from their mother), and the other half will have two barring genes (one from each parent).
    Purebred barred Rock roosters have two barring genes, making them look lighter, and each chick will get one copy of the barring gene from their father. Male chicks will get an additional barring gene from their mothers.
    Make sense now?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. freeby

freeby New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Yes, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by