Barred Plymouth Rock Hen-Trouble Breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen009, Dec 21, 2011.

1. redhen009

redhen009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    I own a barred plymouth rock chicken that is about 9 months old. All of my 12 hens and 2 roosters are free ranging in our 1 1/2 acre yard. They have water in and out of the coop that is changed regularly and food in the coop. Every once in a while, I give them some scratch. Recently, one of my hens is having trouble breathing. She has a very "rattling or raspy" breathing. When she breaths she lifts her head into the air and streches out her neck. Her comb is like maroon (no longer red).She also sneezes alot. (Well, I think it is sneezing. However, I'm not certain.)She was attacked by a dog earlier this year and has an occasional limp every now and then. Today, she is having trouble keeping up with the flock. No other chickens in the flock are showing any signs. There are no vets around where I live that will look at chickens. She is not doing well. I really want to help her but I don't know how. If you can think of anything to help her please let me know. Any idea will help me at this point. I will try to post pictures and videos but I don't know if it will work. Please help!

2. Almost sounds like Gape Worms.

3. redhen009

Dec 21, 2011
    What can I do to help her? Is there medication I can buy?

4. redhen009

Dec 21, 2011
    UPDATE on my hen. I went on the long drive to the feed store and bought some anitbotics. I gave them to her. Now, she seems to be doing fine. I hope she stays well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by