Barred Plymouth Rock roo got frostbite on comb lots of blood.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OklahomaGirl, Nov 13, 2014.

1. OklahomaGirl

OklahomaGirl New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    He got frostbit last night and somehow started bleeding, and the hens might have been pecking at him because they smelled the blood. He also has seemed lethargic for the past few days and now he doesn't like moving. He did eat some food though. he seens really weak, and I'm afriad he will die overnight. we blocked off some of the wind.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. munchkin123

munchkin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi!

sorry about your rooster!

our hens got frostbite last winter and we put Vaseline on there combs and wattles. This will keep them protected and you should put it on before a cold spell or whenever necessary. Hope this works! It always works for us!

3. OklahomaGirl

OklahomaGirl New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    thank you for your help, we put vasaline in it a while ago but it didn't get on very well. the tips of his comb are starting to turn black.

4. munchkin123

munchkin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2014
    Sorry about the Vaseline! it always worked for us. maybe it wasn't rubbed on thoroughly enough.

You may want to try again tomorrow. Even if it doesn't seen to stay on, it will protect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by