1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Plymouth Rock vs. Australorp vs. Welsummer?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KayP, Dec 3, 2008.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Which would you buy for egg production, beauty and personality? Compare and contrast. Talk amongst yourselves. [​IMG] Thanks, all!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've had Barred Rocks and Australorps...not the Welsummer.

Beauty:
    Barred Rocks. Nothing like looking at a good barred bird who has nice shiny feathers in the sunlight.

Eggs:
    Australorp. One of the best layers I have ever had.

Personality:
    Australorp. For some reason, the original Barred Rocks I had never really developed personalities except for one. She was the sweetest thing. The Australorps are just funny to watch and see how they interact with each other.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Some days I could throttle my trio of black australorps, they get into so much nonsense and they came quite shy. Then they cluck along and act like goons and I forgive them for awhile.

My barred is just a baby as are my partridge rocks, but my great grandmothers flock of barreds just rocked, pun intended.

They laid well, grew well and were gorgeous and sweet.

I like watching a group of buff orps doing their things but they sure can be hawk magnets.

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have all 3 breeds.
    The Barred Rocks are wonderful beautiful to look at and great layers. Can get a bit peeved when on the nest.
    The Australorps I think are very beautiful lay great and are easy to be around.
    My Welsummers are still young pullets and not laying yet. As far as looks I think they are beautiful not as friendly as the other 2 breeds.
    I have all 3 and would say get a few of each.

5. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Wish I could.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by