Barred Plymouth Rocker (boy?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nausicaa, May 20, 2011.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'm thinking a boy snuck home with me [​IMG] Though I thought I would check with you guys to see if I might be correct?
    Compared to all the others, his plumage is much more vibrant, the white bars on him stand out -much- more than from any of the others.

I'll be uploading other photos too [​IMG] I love my babies..

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It looks like a boy to me. What age is he? I'm guessing three to four weeks from the pictures. If the crown was yellow I'd say otherwise, but that bright red really makes me think he's a roo.

I hope you'll try keeping him--he's beautiful! I had little boy catch a ride to my place this year, too (a white leghorn).

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Yep, you've got a boy on your hands, the lighter color and barring and that comb is a big sign of Roo!

4. Nausicaa

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    Quote:Thank you !! Yes, I think I will keep him... he has a really cute quirky personality and I guess someone has to keep the ladies company after all [​IMG]

Yes, they have all recently turned 3 weeks old.. They have been staying out during the day in a kennel run getting their energy out(wow.. I didn't think chicks would be quite so energetic!!)

5. Nausicaa

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    The roos also look different just at the corners of the mouth too, right? I'll keep looking back and forth now between this one and the others for comparison now

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:Not sure about the corners of his mouth, but most not all roo's will be lighter, or more white than black will have either no black splash on their legs or very little and will feather in a little slower too.

7. Austinite

Austinite Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
  8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Another vote for roo. Slow tail development and hard to see in those pics but he looks like he's getting that upright angle that a roo has. Also, nice big legs and at 3 weeks, red little comb and already seeing where his wattles will sprout from.

Glad to hear he's **home**. [​IMG]

Congratulations! It's a boy! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, a roo. He'll sprout his wattles and comb next week, more than likely.

10. Nausicaa

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    Yah he is home [​IMG]

I can't wait to see his wattles come in, I really can't wait to see how they will look on him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by