Barred plymouth rocks boy or girl???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mommapilko, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Mommapilko

Mommapilko Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Brisbane
    Hi chicken experts!!! (or just anyone who knows anything more than me [​IMG])
    We got this this chick early new year, hatched on Jan 3rd, so that makes it 5 weeks old. Pepper was sexed as a girl, but I'm worried about the way she's feathering up, and the size of her legs - HUGE!! This is our first time owning chickens and I don't know much, so I'd really appreciate some educated opinions. We live in suburban Brisbane, Australia - and can't keep a rooster for our neighbours' sake - so I'm hoping for some good news here [​IMG] Do barred rocks just develop feathers slowly....?[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] Hope these pic are ok and not too big. Thanks for your help

2. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    VERY HANDSOME BOY!!!!

3. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    I've had barred rock hens with comb and wattles, but I think Harli50 is correct. That is going to be a big boy.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, I am thinking a boy too. SO, keep him till he crows. LOL.

5. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I have raised 9 barred rock hens from chicks and I have to say this doesn't look like any of them did. The white barring looks wider than the black, as well, so I'm going to go with boy. Sorry.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm going with pullet...(this is a way to tell but doesnt always work) the chick has that black wash down the whole frount of the legs and the white spot is small.

i have dom X br mixes brooding right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by